Private one-to-one tuition
Private art lessons and critique sessions
Private one-to-one art lessons and critique sessions in drawing, painting, mixed media and creativity is available for those who prefer a one-to-one approach. One-to-one lessons and critique sessions offer a safe supportive atmosphere to help students develop creative skills and confidence.
Sessions are based in my teaching studio in Ancoats, Manchester.
Private online support + critique
Having one-to-one support on hand offering a supportive critical eye, an affirmative word to keep motivated, or guidance as to what the next creative step should be, is sometimes all students need when working alone at home.
Online face-to-face session can be booked on-line via Skype.
Lockdown and isolation
Beginners + Improvers
For creative support + critique
- Include a few artwork images
- Explain to me what you are working on
- Explain to me what you are trying to achieve
- Let me know if you would like to chat on Skype
Private one-to-one art lessons
Set your own learning agenda
My private one-to-one teaching enables students to benefit from learning gleaned from across all my established drawing, painting and mixed-media courses. Cherry picking the most suitable exercises and information that best supports students on their creative journey will enable students to progress at a pace that is comfortable to them.
Benefit from individual targeted teaching
Individual one-to-one tutoring allows students to set their own learning agenda. Private one-to-one art lessons enables me as a tutor to target my teaching to meet students’ specific needs and address any additional learning needs that students may have. This will ensure students get the most from each session they attend and progress swiftly to reach their creative potential.
How does it work?
Students can book as few or as many private one-to-one art lessons as they wish.
Students can establish their own routines, and choose to attend every week, two weeks, once a month, or have a flexible approach, that will help them fit the one-to-one tutoring into a busy life. This will ensure they are able to dedicate enough time to complete exercises and projects between the one-to-one art lessons, so teaching is not forgotten and wasted due to busy lifestyles.
The first one-to-one session is structured in a similar way as a Critique session, and includes;
– listening to a student tell me what they wish to achieve in their drawing or painting
– offering a positive critique and feedback of their work highlighting positives and areas in need of improvement
– establishing a student’s learning needs
– agreeing a clear structured bespoke plan of action taking into account students’ own priorities.
– agreeing how many one-to-one sessions are required.
Is private one-to-one learning for me?
Private one-to-one tutoring usually suits students who;
• Have limited time due to parenting, caring, or work responsibilities
• Work unsociable hours or have unpredictable work schedules and shifts
• Wish to fast track their learning and improve as quickly as possible
• Are not sure what direction they want their art to take and need to try different materials, techniques and approaches.
• Find learning in groups challenging or stressful
Private one-to-one Critique sessions
Private one-to-one Critique sessions offer a safe supportive space in the same way as one-to-one art lessons, but with a different focus. Critique sessions usually become more of a positive dialogue allowing artists at all stages in their development to grow and develop. Sessions sensitively focus on;
– listening to a student tell me what they are trying to achieve in their drawing or painting
– offering a positive feedback on those aspects of their work that are working favourably
– offering constructive suggestions about those areas in need of improvement
– suggesting ways forward to develop their work either technically and/or creatively
– ongoing sessions for students to ensure they stay on track by offering clear objective feedback
What can I expect
Carefully structured teaching that will lead you step by step, giving you the confidence to try new things.
Loads of individual 1:1 encouragement to explore, experiment and discover.
Inclusive + personalised learning
A teaching style that focuses on your individual needs and is fully accepting of your individuality.
Creativity and technical skills
Teaching that allows you to learn new technical skills and develop your creativity, and leave inspired to continue to develop your skills further at home.
The Gallery Studio is a warm, creative and friendly space offering a relaxed informal, yet focused, teaching style.
Choose this option if you want one-to-one tuition or critique on your work
Subscribe to our newsletter
News, events, tips + info.
No spam. Unsubscribe when you wish.
“Strongly recommend. Relaxing, thoughtful and pleasurable learning experience.”
“A fantastic introduction to drawing and painting. I learnt so much about technique, materials and equipment I feel excited to go away and practice what I have learnt.”
“I learnt about the basics of shading, 2-point perspective and use of guidelines [for measuring], priming [canvases], watercolours & acrylics, types of brushes, papers, canvas, and paper sizes.”
Choosing the right course
Courses are grouped into 4 strands, each with a different focus.
Create your own patchwork of courses depending on your interest and availability.
There is no specific starting point.